September 05, 2014

In a Rut, Out a Rut

I've been in a blogging Rut for the longest time, with either not feeling like blogging, or having nothing to say!  So I am slowly, trying to get back into the blogosphere.  I also need a bit more inspiration, considering different formats, or different platforms, etc..  But I'll just stick with this for the moment.

Anyway, on the home-front:

My dear kid N is, as I've mentioned before, allergic to cow's milk protein, egg, and peanuts.  We're not sure if that includes all tree nuts, or just peanuts.  A doctor's appointment will need to be made to figure that one out!  On this same note, we discovered that Campbell's Chunky Soups contains cow's milk protein, even the ones that don't contain traditional milk ingredients in them.  Lactic Acid is the culprit, we believe.  We COULD do a bit more controlled experimentation on this (to see if the culprit is indeed, Lactic Acid), but we've just decided to avoid it altogether.  Otherwise, Kid N is healthy and growing.  He's still skinny and lanky looking, but he's growing in height, at least, and sloooowly gaining in weight.

Kid B will be entering her first week of Preschool starting next week.  That will be fun!  She's quite excited to be starting school, and making new friends!  I'm only sad that the to-be Kindergarteners and other school-aged kids aren't able to start school in time, due to the BC Teacher's strike!  I'm on the political-left of the spectrum, so you can guess where I stand on this issue (and I'll leave it at that!).

Events and Happenings
I can't recall all the awesome and boring stuff that we've done since April (which was my last post).  We've had some birthdays in the family, etc..  But here are some highlights!

Most notably, I became an Aunt again, with the birth of my new Edmontonian Nephew in August!  He's the smallest of all of my sisters' babies, but still above 7 pounds!  That's actually saying quite a bit, since I think the average amongst us sisters is 8.xx pounds!  Yikes!

This summer we had a wedding to go to, in Victoria.  That was fun and memorable!  Seeing the sights, taking the ferry, seeing family, eating, chatting, taking pics, dressing up etc..  Yep, dressing up is fun, especially when you have toddlers to dress up with you, too!

And then there was Disneyland!  WOW!  I haven't completely formulated all my thoughts into words yet, about this experience.  There are definitely downsides and upsides of going when the kids are young, but it was definitely a worthwhile experience, and the kids LOVED it!  I have to say that the pics that every one of us took are amazing, and the professional photos done by the Disney staff are awesome too.  I'm so glad that we live in an age of digital photos and images, where we can snap and view as many photos as we want, without having to pay for film or development., because boy, that would have cost us a lot of $$!  In any case, my 4 year old LOVED the ride, It's a Small World!  She rode on it at least 10 times.  It was pretty awesome to see that face of hers, light up, as we entered the ride!  Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa for making that trip happen!

And now here we are, with Summer winding down (officially a few weeks left in the Summer season).  I've tried growing vegetables in my garden over the Spring and Summer.  While I don't have a brown-thumb anymore, I still haven't produced much of anything, despite my efforts!  I have mint, and chives growing nicely, as well as ornamental kale;  Those are definitely hard to mess-up, so I don't necessarily call that a green-thumb-victory, for myself, though.

I have some corn stalks growing, with barely-there corn growing on the stalk.  My soil isn't fertile enough, nor did I leave enough space between some of the corn stalks.  Lesson-learned, and I will try again next year.  I'm hoping that I will have at least two miraculously-grown-corn-on-the-cobs hanging off of my corn-stalks before the weather truly turns cold and wet.

And what about that fig tree in my backyard that I'm always eyeing, for figs?  Well, the squirrels and other pesky animals in the neighbourhood always get to them before I do, so I've given up.  Maybe next year... (although I said that last year, and the year before, and the year before that...)

My flowers have been late-bloomers this year, but they are growing nicely.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually growing weeds, because my "wildflowers" certainly look like they are weeds.  But maybe by definition, wildflowers are weeds???


Ah well.  Life has been dull, busy, boring, exciting all at the same time, these past many months.

I'm trying to get back into a routine, for myself, which includes a bit of blogging, so let's hope that next week I'll have another post about B's awesome first week at preschool (and other happenings)!

No comments: